• The only couple psychoanalytic training that leads to professional membership of the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) and full membership of the BSCPC (The British Society of Couple Psychotherapists and Counsellors)
• Train with experienced practitioners in the helping professions such as child, group and adult psychotherapy, counselling, psychology, psychiatry or social work
• Teaching led by leading experts in the field
• Couples provided by TCCR and seen on our premises in our own consulting rooms
• Co-therapy undertaken with senior staff
• UEL validated
• Individual supervision, tutorials and clinical administration included in the fee
• Most seminars on one afternoon and evening
• A chance to be part of an Institution with 60 years training and research experience
• Benefit from TCCR's long history of researching and writing about couple relationships
This unique 4-year programme is a clinical training in couple psychoanalytic psychotherapy combined with an academic training to MA level. It provides a route to the PD in Couple Psychotherapy. We also run a two year conversion programme and a one year individual programme.
This training is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of psychoanalytic theory and technique as it relates to the adult couple relationship and to build on and deepen the student's existing clinical experience. Clinical work is provided through the TCCR's clinical service and there is the opportunity to undertake co-therapy with experienced psychoanalytic couple therapists.
This is the only couple psychotherapy training that leads to professional membership of the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) and full membership of the BSCPC (The British Society of Couple Psychotherapists and Counsellors).
Who is this course suitable for?
The training is suitable for people who have had several years of post qualifying experience in a helping profession such as counselling, psychology, psychiatry or social work. They will have become interested in understanding and helping couples therapeutically and wish to develop clinically and academically as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist.
It will also be of interest to adult or child psychoanalytic psychotherapists who now wish to extend their understanding and clinical practice to the couple.
It will also appeal to those who have undertaken our Graduate Certificate and Postgraduate Diploma in Couple and Individual Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy (CT2) and who now wish to undertake an advanced clinical and academic training and to enter the couple psychoanalytic psychotherapy profession.
You will be expected to have a first degree or equivalent professional qualification/experience and several years post qualifying experience in the helping professions. For those undertaking the full training there is a requirement for personal analysis /psychotherapy 3 times a week to have commenced one year before application and to continue throughout the training. This requirement is modified for entrants with Advanced Standing. Please see Advanced Standing into Professional MA in Couple Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy (CT1A).
• BPC registration & BSCPC registration
• UEL validated
Duration and time commitment
4 years part-time. The seminars take place on Tuesdays (2.15 – 6.45pm). There is an additional lecture series in Year 1 on Wednesday morning (11.30 – 1.00). In addition times have to be arranged for clinical work, supervision and tutorials plus an Infant Observation. Each term is ten weeks including a reading week midterm.
Programme structure and components
Students are able to develop their clinical skills through weekly individual supervision provided by senior clinical staff and through weekly clinical seminars. Theoretical seminars on key psychoanalytic concepts, psychoanalytic couple concepts, research methodologies and critical couple relationship issues such as, first babies, infertility, divorce, separation and sexuality are all explored. The support of a personal tutor helps the student to develop their understanding and thinking.
• Theory Seminar
• Clinical Seminar
• History of the Development of Psychoanalytic Thought Seminar
• Clinical Research Methodologies Seminar
• Individual Supervision
• Clinical Work with couples including co-work with senior staff
• Clinical Assessments
• Infant Observation and Infant Observation Seminar
• Group Relations Event or Teaching Option
• Psychiatric Placement
Assessed course assignments
You will be supported throughout the course by a personal tutor
100% course work including assessment of clinical competence.
Year 1: 2 Theory Critiques, 2 Case Summaries, Infant Observation Summary
Year 2: Infant Observation Paper, Theory Paper
Year 3: Clinical Research Methodologies Paper, Case Summary, Clinical Assessment
Year 4: Clinical Assessment, Qualifying Paper/ MA Dissertation
Qualification after successful completion of the course
• You will become a qualified professional Couple Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist
• You will gain a MA from the University of East London (UEL).
• Eligable for professional registration with BPC and BSCPC
What can it lead to/course progression?
Our MA is a highly respected qualification internationally within the couple psychotherapy field and opens up specialist leadership roles.
When to apply and course start dates
Closing date for applications:
Late applications may be considered.
Applicants complete an application form and short listed applicants are invited for 2 interviews: a work interview with a senior TCCR staff member and a personal interview with an external interviewer. Offers of places on the training are made following a Selection Meeting.
Who to talk to next?
2013-14: £4 000 pa - all inclusive of seminars, procurement of clinical couples, clinical administration, supervision, tutorials and assessment. The fee does not include individual analysis/ psychotherapy which are independently negotiated with your therapist. Fees are increased by an inflationary amount each year.
Non EU/EAA Students: £5 000 pa
For more information and application pack
Please download the document below: