Professional Practitioner Training
Our Professional Training programmes are designed for people who wish to train as practitioners of Individual and Couple Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy, Psychosexual Therapy and/or Couple Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy.
We offer a stepped professional training programme from certificate level right through to a professional doctorate. We also offer a number of advanced standing entry points to a number of our professional training courses depending on experience, prior training and professional qualifications. Please see the Advanced Standing and Individual Programme below.
All our professional training is accredited by the leading relevant professional body in the field, an indicator of our commitment to the highest national standards.
Graduate Certificate and Postgraduate Diploma in Couple and Individual Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy (CT2)
3 years, part-time. Course starts September 2012.
Qualifies you to practice as a couple and individual counsellor and psychotherapist in statutory and voluntary sectors and in private practice. BACP Accredited.
Three terms. January 2014 start.
Qualifies you to practice as a psychosexual therapist in statutory and voluntary sectors as well as in private practice. The course is COSRT approved and UEL validated and graduates may be eligible for individual registration with UKCP.
Qualifies you to practice as a Couple Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist with professional membership of the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) and full membership of the BSCPC. (The British Society of Couple Psychotherapists and Counsellors) Watch video
- A new Professional Doctorate commended at Validation by UEL as 'an innovative and unique programme', with a 'high quality of resources in place to support the programme' and a 'high level of institutional support for scholarly activity'
- Highest academic award in the field of Couple Psychotherapy
- You will join a vibrant community of professional couple clinicians and research-minded colleagues
- Teaching is given by leading experts in the field with international reputations in the field of couple relationships
- UEL validated
- A chance to be part of an Institution with 60 years training and research experience
- Benefit from TCCR's long history of researching and writing about couple relationships
- You will be part of the Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships learning and research community, and will have the opportunity to participate in professional development events and activities
- Students will have access to face-to-face and online Research Skills and Research Methods teaching in line with Vitae's Researcher Development Framework. You will have good library and online database support from UEL and you will have access to PEPweb – the world's premier psychoanalytic literature database – and reduced fee access to the Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust Library.
- The Graduate School of UEL will provide support to your postgraduate research.
Advanced Standing Postgraduate Diploma in Couple and Individual Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy (CT2A)
Entry with advanced standing is aimed at already qualified practitioners who want to gain experience in working psychodynamically with couples and with individuals from a relationship perspective.
Entry with Advanced Standing is available for those who have completed an approved psychoanalytic psychotherapy training in individual, child or group psychoanalytic psychotherapy and wish to develop a further specialism in psychoanalytic work with couples, or for those who have completed TCCR's Post Graduate Diploma in Couple and Individual Counselling (CT2)and wish to deepen their psychoanalytic understanding of the couple relationship and develop as a couple psychoanalytic psychotherapist.
This is an individually tailored programme for experienced practitioners who want to develop their understanding and skills without undertaking the full clinical training or doctoral programme.